Stem cell transplant is a mode of treatment which replaces the faulty blood-cell forming marrow with healthier marrow cells. The faulty bone marrow cells may be because of any injuries, infections, diseases and disabilities and even chemotherapy. Stem cell transplant is also called bone marrow transplant.
Where is bone marrow transplant needed?
- Cancers of the blood cells and bone marrow.
- Aplastic anaemia
- Haemoglobin abnormalities like thalassemia
- Red Blood cell disorders like sickle cell anaemia
- White blood cell disorders like congenital neutropenia
Stem cell transplant is one of the recent modes for treatment for many marrow cell disorders. The cost of treatment in India is one of the lowest compared to most other countries. The quality of the treatment is also top-notch and is provided by professional experts.
The starting price of stem cell therapy in India is around $9,000-$10,000.
Stem cell treatments in other countries:
- Stem cell therapy in Nigeria is also placing their feet into the research. Studies are being performed for stem cell therapy in these regions and patients are receiving treatment. But this is still at a smaller scale and only few hospitals with multi-specialities are able to provide this.
- Stem cell therapy in Ghana is one of its recent advancements. The first stem cell therapy procedure was performed in the Greater Accra Regional Hospital. This was done for the treatment of sickle cell anaemia. The entire procedure costs about $15,000 to $20,000. The surgical team and doctors did share their problem of lack of adequate staff and facilities.
- Multiple myeloma is a rare type of blood cancer which is seen more commonly in African-Americans. Despite this, there are very few resources in countries like Kenya. The facilities to quickly diagnose this condition seems to be lacking. The expertise that is needed for long-term treatments like stem cell therapy is also not easily available. Apart from that, the cost of medications, radiotherapy and chemotherapy is also too high for a common man.
- Myelodysplastic syndrome is a group of diseases which are caused due to defective bone marrow. This condition is seen more commonly in African countries like Nigeria. Despite this, the availability of treatment is very scarce. Many individuals are seen making international trips to countries like India for an affordable treatment which come with state-of-the-art technology. The cost of treatment in Nigeria is also pretty high which begins at the range of $20,000 to $50,000.
- Acute myeloid leukaemia is another type of white blood cell cancer. Leukaemia is one of the leading causes of death in many countries, especially United Arab Emirates. The treatment options are available at too high a price for the common working-class man to afford. The initial cost of treatment begins at $20,000 and sometimes goes up to $50,000 also which makes it unaffordable for many.
While looking at the price-points and the quality of treatment, one can easily deduce that the advanced treatments like stem cell therapy is not as easily available in many countries. When available, they are more expensive than what can be afforded. There is also a steady increase in the number of people visiting India for such treatments.
How many types of cancer are there?
There are more than 100 types of known cancer types.
What are the early symptoms of blood cancer?
The most common symptoms of the blood cancer include: fever or chills,
chronic feeling of fatigue and tiredness, loss of appetite, frequent infections
and night sweats.
Why does the diagnosis seem to delay in most of the cases?
Cancer cells multiply literally billions of times before the symptoms start to
show. That is why some methods of screening and prevention are important.
What is bone marrow?
Bone marrow is the soft centre of the bones where blood cells are formed.
When these immature blood cells start dividing rapidly it causes the
overcrowding of abnormal blood cells as a result of which cancer develops.
What should be done in case of any of these symptoms?
Since the blood cancer symptoms are quite vague, one should see the
doctor if the symptoms are unusual for the person as well as last for a longer